Delicious! Sweet Chilli Sauce Using long red peppers
- red chillis & 1 firm red bell capsicum to make up 500g (the capsicum makes a slightly less hot sauce)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 750mls white vinegar
- 645g (3 cups) castor sugar
- 1 or 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger (optional)
- 1 level teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder (you can increase to 1/2 teaspoon for extra heat) optional.
De-seed the capsicums, and all but one long chilli, and chop coarsely, then place in food processor with peeled garlic, grated ginger and 250mls of vinegar; process until finely chopped.
Put the processed capsicum/chilli mixture into large pan, add remaining vinegar, castor sugar, salt and chilli powder. Cook over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Increase to high heat and bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally. Usually takes 40 – 60minutes. Put saucer in fridge to test sauce is ready-it will jell in the saucer in five minutes or so.
Pour into sterilised bottles and seal. Makes approximately 1 litre of sauce.
My family loves this sauce with stir fry dishes, especially chicken!